Old 12-04-2004, 11:40 PM
pmwebdesigns

Default Killing fish ... sorry : (

The below information is from Koko's Goldfish Site
Preferred Method: Clove Oil and Tank Water Method
Buy pure clove oil. You can get it at a health food store for under $10 for
a ½ ounce bottle. Put the fish in a medium sized mixing bowl in his own
water from his tank. In a small jar or something with a lid (I use a cleaned
out jelly jar) mix the clove oil with tank water. Put the lid on and shake
it like crazy over and over until the liquid in it is white. Then pour a
little into the mixing bowl with the fish. Swirl it with your hand. The fish
might fight it just a little bit and then slow down. Then pour a little more
in and swirl again. He should just go to sleep and appear dead. If he
doesn't, try a little more of the clove solution, always shaking very well
before an addition to the bowl. When he goes to sleep, leave him in the
solution for a good 10 minutes and then put him in a small cup or zip-lock
baggie and put him in the freezer. Pain free death. Very humane. We should
all go so easily.

Clove Oil and Vodka DON'T USE!!!!
The clove oil and vodka method is often sited as a humane method of fish
euthanasia. Clove oil (eugenol) is used as an anesthetic in fish for
surgery. The vodka is used to disperse the clove oil in the water. The clove
oil/vodka mixture is placed in water and then the fish is added and
supposedly dies peacefully. This doesn't work! Use the clove oil and tank
water method described above.

Priss

"Nanceemo" wrote in message
I hate to be asking this question, but I need to get rid of many little
fishies. I've tried finding new homes, but no takers, and my pond looks

more
like a mud puddle than anything, and the population is increasing
exponentially. Is there a ralatively humane way to do this?

Nancy