Old 13-04-2004, 02:11 AM
Peter H

Default Dead spots in lawn

"Jeffrey K. Judd" wrote in message
news:CtDdc.792$rC3.31625@attbi_s53...
I had a new lawn and sprinkler system professionally installed in 1999.
Every year since 2002 there have been numerous dead spots everywhere. It
looks like it will be the same this year. I have always had a

professional
landscaper take care of the fertilizer/weed killer/grub control
applications. (I usually apply starter fert. between his applications-this
was a tip from the lawn installation company). He has been unable to
explain why my grass dies.

The water from my point well has a lot of iron in it. The grass is

Kentucky
Blue grass and was originally hydroseeded. My neighbor next door does not
have my lawns problem. His lawn/sprinklers were professionally installed

in
'99 too, by a different company. His grass was from seed and his water is
city water; no iron.

Pictures can be seen at: http://www.outsourceparts.com/crappylawn (click

on
the thumbnails for larger view)

-Is the iron a problem?

-Am I stressing the grass with the starter fertilizer?

-Good loam was added over my original lawn- I assume that is deep enough.

-I mow at 2.75" (1" lower for the last mowing)

What do you think the problem is?

It's fusarium patch.... or otherwise known as snow mold. You lawn will
recover, but may suffer again in the mid summer. My suggestion would be to
turn off your sprinkler this year. Don't fertilize in the summer and cut it
quite short for the last cut of the year.

Peter H