Old 13-04-2004, 02:33 AM
John Savage

Default Potatoes in garbage bags

(Marita J. Buffone) writes:
Also, has anyone used store bought potatoes successfully rather than
purchasing seed potatoes? I want to use a couple baking potatoes and
a couple red potatoes that have sprouted.

Supermarket potatoes grow perfectly! It is best to plant small whole ones,
rather than be tempted to cut a large one up into separate pieces. The cut
surfaces do tend to rot.

After you plant the spuds there should be no need to water them until
they have put up a nice bunch of green leaves. Just cover with lots of
mulch and dry leaves, etc. This cover will also protect them from the odd
late frost.

I'm in Australia, where we like spuds as much as do the Irish.