Old 13-04-2004, 02:34 AM
George Shirley

Default Seeds

Janice wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 12:18:14 -0500, George Shirley
wrote:

As long as you keep the seeds dry they will last a long time. I keep
mine in a plastic one gallon container in the fridge and have viable
seeds that are up to ten years old. You can even freeze them if you seal
them in a container, used to keep heirloom field pea seeds that way. I
keep all the seeds in the containers in paper envelopes, the smaller
batches in el cheapo coin envelopes, the rest in el cheapo small size
mailing envelopes. YMMV

George

yup.... 'cept lettuce, parsnips, think orach seed doesn't keep either.
Usually they only last the season they're purchased for, no longer.
Maybe if there are way better storage facilities than most households,
you might get another year out of them, so you'd have to grow them out
each year and save new seed.

Janice

old_codger wrote:

North wrote:

Lets try this again :-)
Note the groups that were added.
n.

Ok, thanks north. I think Alan Connor posted something on this a
while ago but I can't seem to find it.
We'll see what the other groups can add.

Thanks.

We buy lettuce seed for less than a dime a package, leaf type, and I
have some that are two years old in the box. Planted some for spring and
got about 80% germination, which with lettuce seed is more than adequate.

George