Old 13-04-2004, 05:02 AM
Janice

Default Does old cut grass help?

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 02:18:24 GMT, "jm"
wrote:

"Ray Drouillard" wrote in message

"jm" wrote in message
news:3JGec.121323$w54.847853@attbi_s01...
I have a lot of bags of cut grass that's just been sitting in a pile.

Is
any of it good for fertilizing a vegetable garden? Thanks.

It makes great mulch -- as long as it wasn't sprayed with weed killer.

Ray

Does mulch mean I can mix it up in the soil before I plant the seeds? How
long does it have to sit around before I can use it?

Mulch is on top of the ground stuff. Say you mow the lawn, you have
some plants up and growing in the garden, they're watered but not
soggy, you'd take the grass clippings and spread them out between the
plants, an inch or three thick and as you get more, you continue from
where you left off until you get they areas you want mulched covered
then start over at the other end again where the first layer has
packed, decayed, and pulled down by worms.. just layer it on and move
on.

You dig compost in, the remains after you have stacked stuff in the
compost bin and it's broken down to a nice black crumbly lookin'
stuff. But even that you don't need to work it in too far, most of
the fertility in soil is in the top few inches. Extreme example
would be rain forests that pretty much kind of sit on top of the soil
and live from the nutrients in the top few inches of leaf litter
that's decayed over the years.

Janice