Old 13-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Tim Challenger

Default Revolting Maggot with Legs Thing.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:40:52 +0100, david taylor wrote:

I have not read through all the correspondence on this topic. 1 inch long
legs on front sounds like the larva of a carniverous beetle -carabida. They
are quite common and distincly diffeerent from chafer grubs which are not
nearly so active. If it is indeed a carniverous beetle larva you have killed
a goody.
The devils coachhorse larva is bigger and more evil looking but again should
be left alone.

Ah, I didn't know about them. Learn something new every day here. I've seen
a reasonable number of devil's coachmen adults around so I assume there'll
be some larvae in the ground. :-)

I don't kill anything in my garden unless I *know* it's a real pest and
there are loads of them and already causing too much damage. Except ground
elder and creeping buttercup.

--
Tim C.