Old 13-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Raccoons in my yard?

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:
| "Rodger wrote in message after me...
| :
| So how about this news story? (seen on another Ng).....
|
| http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/3536063.stm
|
| Perhaps some of us will soon need to know what to do about them!
|
| Wild raccoons in Britain?
|
| You think grey squirrels were a menace? Just wait.
|
| Yes, I've already read about the problems in Germany.
| http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_885832.html
|
| http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm...ld.animaltales
|
| worrying isn't it.

Not overwhelmingly. There are at most two species of mammal that
have lived in the UK for more than 10,000 years - fox and mountain
(blue) hare. All others have introduced themselves or been
introduced.

I don't know how well raccoons (or coatis, for that matter) will be
able to take the winters. Like many plants, some mammals which are
adapted to cold aren't very good at taking long, dark, wet winters.
They probably would survive in some areas, but it isn't certain.
I don't know how they handle winters in north America.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.