Old 13-04-2004, 12:02 PM
shazzbat

Default Atco Lawnmower

"Ian Wolfe" wrote in message
I have a (almost) 7-year old 14" Atco Commodore Lawnmower which cost
£564. It has been serviced every year. I am now told that the housing
on the rear roller has corroded. Atco say they now have none in stock
and will not be making any more, thus making the machine obsolete and
useless. Perhaps because I am naive I am appalled by this.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

I don't think you are naive, but from the manufs point of view it's not in
their interest to keep making parts which will probably sell in low numbers.
My PC was just about 2 years old when I was told it couldn't be upgraded and
I needed a new one. The compressor in my garage on the other hand was made
by the Aerograph company, which later became Devilbiss, and is now something
else whose name I forget even though they are fairly local. I don't know
when it was made, but its bolts have Whitworth threads.

On a practical note, you may be able to get a small engineering shop to make
a suitable part, I assume its main function is to support the rear roller
and/or its bearings. Doesn't sound too much like rocket science. Or they may
be able to do something with the old one.

HTH

Steve