Old 13-04-2004, 08:03 PM
dave weil

Default Announcement

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 17:56:16 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"dave weil" wrote in message
.. .
I just wanted to announce that here in Nashville, it's

SNOWING.

I know it sounds silly but I'm a bit jealous! I
miss snow.

Well, it was only technically snow. It was sort of icy rain (not sleet
or hail). It wasn't really an ice storm either, just some not fully
formed flakes.

Well, there's snow mixed amongst the rain and it's 35

degrees at 10
am!. It's actually accumulating a little bit right outside

of town,
believe it or not).

The weather this "spring" has been weird, even
cooler here (San Antonio TX) than usual, but I'm
grateful because we could easily have temps in
the 90s by now. I think my roses like this milder
weather better; everything's in bloom and the
spring-only bloomers have a ton of buds, more
than I've ever seen before. I'm not bragging -
this time next year we could have temps in the
high 90s and all my roses sulking!

I hope this continues for you!

No big whoop, but thoughts of the third week of April 1966

are
suddenly creeping into my mind. That was the week (and I

was but a
child) that this area got its largest recorded snowfall -

Memphis got
18 inches.

I recall leaving Baltimore MD mid-April in the late
1960s or early 1970s to go visit my sister in Syracuse
NY. Mom was driving. It was sunny and warm in MD
but by the time we got to the PA Turnpike it was a
major winter storm, ice on the roads, 18 wheelers
turned over - very scary. I keep thinking about that
as I watched the weather maps over the past week
or so.

We're actually 30 degrees below normal at the moment. People are
anxiously watching for signs of an actual frost the next couple of
nights. So far, nothing of that order is on the horizon.

It sure has been a miserablly cold and wet last couple of

days indeed.
Black spot, here you come...

I hope that's the worst that happens to your roses.
I've lost roses to late frosts.

Yeah, I hope *that* doesn't happen. Right now, canker is on my mind...