Old 13-04-2004, 10:34 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default electric deer fencing

(Myrmecodia) wrote:

Does anyone use baited electric deer fencing like this?
http://www.deerbusters.com/dee-3020.html
Does it work?
I want to deer-proof a portion of our property that contains a
vegetable patch and landscaping with azaleas which the deer seem to
love munching on. Most of the lot is wooded, and deer move through at
night. I thought a couple of strands of electrified wire might be
less obtrusive and less hazardous to birds than 8 ft of netting

Many people here have tried it. If you put it across a heavily traveled
deer path, they will not respect it unless you reinforce it with
barriers, easily visible distractors like plastic bags, and use strong
posts. They know how to knock down elecric fencing and can easily jump
over it. If the fence is off to the side of their path, they will
respect it.

An easy way to make deer respect a barrier is to make the barrier wide.
Deer jump over narrow barriers but will not make a running broad jump
over wide barriers.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman