Old 13-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Heather

Default Potato in a pot - competition

"Jonny" wrote in message
On 11 Apr 2004 12:52:18 -0700, (Heather)
wrote:

So I've been persauded to have a go at the "heaviest crop of potatos
grown from a single tuber in a 12" internal diameter pot" class in the
village show in the first week of September. (snip)
. Cut potato into two bits and put cut sides down, shoots facing
up.

Hi Heather, Sounds fun. Three things spring to mind about cutting the
spud in two. Firstly, does that work? Secondly, why do it? If the
answer is to get two plants and therefore a heavier crop, are you not
cheating:-)) quote from above "heaviest crop of potatos
grown from a single tuber" emphasis being on the word single.

Apparently it does work - seems to be what the others who enter this class
do anyway.

The why is in an effort to get a heavier crop.

"single tuber" means one tuber - doesn't say you can't cut it into as many
bits as you like..... (obviously each needs to have sprouts on)

Nope, I think it's fair. We'll see what the judges say in September!

Heather