Old 13-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Simon

Default Atco Lawnmower

Ian Wolfe wrote:

I have a (almost) 7-year old 14" Atco Commodore Lawnmower which cost
£564. It has been serviced every year. I am now told that the housing
on the rear roller has corroded. Atco say they now have none in stock
and will not be making any more, thus making the machine obsolete and
useless. Perhaps because I am naive I am appalled by this.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Having fond memories of old Atco mowers from childhood, I bought an Atco
Windsor last year.

The scarifier attachment that was supplied with the mower was gear-driven
while the mower was belt-driven, so I had to e-mail for the right pulley.
My dealer told me that Atco-Qualcast did not ship the right part in the
first place because they did not expect Windsor users to actually use the
scarifier attachment!

The front roller is a nice looking steel cylinder that I suspect is actually
a part from a roller conveyor. The roller can be swapped for two side
wheels for longer grass. Unfortunately, the threaded stud at one end of the
roller snapped while I was refitting it. I know that I was not
overtightening it, and it was the first bolt I have ever sheared, but
Atco-Qualcast refused to replace it under the warranty.

I find it sad that almost the last cylinder mower manufacturer does not come
up to the mark. I suspect the days of a finely mown lawn is numbered unless
one pays the very high price for a groundkeeper's mower.