Old 14-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Loki

Default Transplanting question

il Mon, 12 Apr 2004 09:07:27 -0700, (Glenna Rose) ha
scritto:

Yesterday, after many days of no rain, our neighbor was planting three
dogwood trees. I spoke to him briefly as he was planting the first one.
He had just finished filling the hole around the roots and was replacing
the sod around the trunk of the tree. Seeing no garden hose, I asked him
if he had filled the hole with water to which he replied he would water
them after he was done. I mentioned it might be good to fill the hole
with water before putting in the tree and maybe again after the tree
positioned and the hole partly filled so the roots would have plenty of
water to get started. He said that he didn't need to do that, that all he
had to do was water it after it was planted. [snip]

Stick to your careful care. The fact that your neighbour has any
living trees will be a testament to vegetation's desire to live, not
to any skills on his part.

The Japanese were moving giant full grown trees back in the days when
they had to be drawn by a team of horses. The roots were wrapped in
hessian and kept soaked. I imagine they took lots of care that
overcame the low-tech style of achieving it.
--
Cheers,