Old 14-04-2004, 02:02 AM
Steve

Default Transplanting question

Glenna,
One of two things will happen:
1 The trees will thrive despite it all, leaving you to wonder how
he managed to be so lucky.
2 The trees will produce poor growth this summer and may die. He
will call the place where he purchased them and complain loudly that
they sold him bad trees.

Your method is correct. If you ever plant a bare root tree, it is
even more important to do it your way. You want to cover most of the
roots with soil then fill the hole to the top with water. After that
soaks in, add more soil and soak it again. You NEED soil to fill in
between the roots and not leave air pockets. You really can't use
too much water on planting day. (If the drainage is so poor that
there is worry about drowning roots, most trees are not going to
thrive there anyway.)

Take a good look at those trees in July or August and let us know
how they look.

Steve

Glenna Rose wrote:
Yesterday, after many days of no rain, our neighbor was planting three
dogwood trees. I spoke to him briefly as he was planting the first one.
He had just finished filling the hole around the roots and was replacing
the sod around the trunk of the tree. Seeing no garden hose, I asked him
if he had filled the hole with water to which he replied he would water
them after he was done. I mentioned it might be good to fill the hole
with water before putting in the tree and maybe again after the tree
positioned and the hole partly filled so the roots would have plenty of
water to get started. He said that he didn't need to do that, that all he
had to do was water it after it was planted. In the past, their idea of
watering a plant is to have the hose there for 2 or 3 minutes at the most
and move on. When finishing, they spent less than five minutes watering
all three trees. These trees are between the sidewalk and the street
which is extra dry anyway because there is little chance of water
retention in the soil because of the moisture radiating (not the right
word!) into the totally dry soil under the street and sidewalk.

Am I mistaken in the belief that this is not the best way to plant a tree
or anything else? I ask because many years ago, someone told me that
before planting a potted plant or shrub, or transplanting, the roots of
the plant should be thoroughly soaked with water and to wait at least a
half-hour before doing anything with the plant. The purpose of this is to
supercharge the roots with water so the fine feeder roots have minimal
damage with less shock to the plant. I was told that if the roots are dry,
the fine feeder roots will break leaving the plant "crippled" for recovery.

Because this sounded very logical, it's a process I've used throughout my
life. My luck initially has been quite good and I have transplanted many,
many plants, both from pots and from the ground, and have never lost even
one in the first few weeks/months. When I moved here, we even
transplanted some large rhodies (one 12-feet tall) with this method (and a
backhoe) to have them all live. Other plants moved then were many lilac
bushes (fully grown) and an 11-year-old apple tree; all are thriving and
it's been 4-1/2 years. The tree expert who physically moved the apple
tree told me it would never live! If I were to follow the neighbor's
method, then I've really done a lot of extra work when I plant/transplant
plants/bushes. As an added note, I transplant in the dark of the moon
whenever practical.

What is the procedure you use for transplanting? Do you "overuse" the
water like I do or do you transplant "dry" as he did?

Glenna