Old 03-02-2003, 04:08 PM
Neal Ross

Default [IBC] layering a wild tree

How far down do you intend to do your trunk chop? If the diameter is only
2-3 inches it would most likely be pretty low. I have never collected a
field grown tree, but I have done alot of reading about it because I have a
field grown Japanese Maple I want to dig up in a year or so. From what I
have read and been told it might be a good idea to take a shovel and drive
it down through the roots about a foot away from the base of the tree after
the new growth has hardened off. From what I gather, that will cause new
roots to grow in closer to the trunk and then when they have established
themselves you can do the trunk chop the following year and the new roots
will support the growth you want to develop your future design plans. After
you get your growth started then you can dig it up in spring and put it into
a training box.

Anyone with better ideas please chime in. Otherwise this is what I intend to
do with my field grown Japanese Maple next year.

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: