Old 14-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Emery Davis

Default Raccoons in my yard?

On 14 Apr 2004 07:25:52 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) said:

]
] In article ,
lid (Rodger Whitlock) writes:
] | On 13 Apr 2004 07:37:59 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:
] |
] | I don't know how well raccoons (or coatis, for that matter) will be
] | able to take the winters. Like many plants, some mammals which are
] | adapted to cold aren't very good at taking long, dark, wet winters.
] | They probably would survive in some areas, but it isn't certain.
] | I don't know how they handle winters in north America.
] |
] | The raccoon is native to a very wide swathe of North America and
] | handles long, dark, wet winters with complete aplomb. They
] | actually do better in an urban environment than out in the
] | country.
]
] Are they widespread in the coastal strip stretching from Vancouver
] to Anchorage, because that is the only patch that HAS anything like
] long, dark, WET winters? The point is that many hibernation and
] semi-hibernation techniques don't work in the UK, because of the
] unreliable cold in the winter.
]
] They probably could naturalise here, but it isn't certain. Some
] cold-winter animals have trouble.
]

Don't think they need the cold; we had them in San Francisco, where
is certainly never freezes (at least not in the 4 years I lived there). Lots of
sub-tropical vegetation. Also in Boston, where it gets very chilly indeed,
so they seem quite adaptable. In SF they were active all winter long,
dratted things.

-E
--
Emery Davis