Old 14-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Raccoons in my yard?

In article ,
Emery Davis writes:

| Don't think they need the cold; we had them in San Francisco, where
| is certainly never freezes (at least not in the 4 years I lived there). Lots of
| sub-tropical vegetation. Also in Boston, where it gets very chilly indeed,
| so they seem quite adaptable. In SF they were active all winter long,
| dratted things.

The problem in the UK is about four months of dark, wet conditions,
wandering around freezing point. The darkness means that plants
don't grow much, and so there is little food, the erratic
temperatures block hibernation, and the wetness means that it is
difficult to keep warm. San Francisco is half-way to the tropics,
starting from the UK.

The only place in north America with a comparable climate is the
coastal strip between Vancouver and Anchorage.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.