Old 14-04-2004, 03:33 PM
D Russell

Default mist units

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Still haven't decided whether to go for a proper hot bench or a soil
cable and plunge unit. (Shall be sad to decide it's somehow fun to plan
spending money and not actually getting around to ordering anything from
two West's.

One question I'd like to ask the experts.
Why doesn't a mist unit encourage damping off? I would have thought
enclosing lots of cuttings in an area of constant wetness would be
lethal.

janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

I'd guess maybe that with a misting unit the air is in constant circulation,
and thus less risk of the "stagnant" moist air hanging around where you
don't want it. Damping off seems worse in propagators without any
ventilation after all.

Isn't damping off caused by a fungus ?, maybe it doesn't have time to
settle. Or maybe the misting unit somehow raises destroys the fungal spores,
seems unlikely.

Duncan