Old 14-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Stephen M. Henning

Default NEW GARDEN

(David M.) wrote:

Have any readers got any tips on the secret of laying a new lawn from
seed and not buying old turf that stinks of sheep. comments
appreciated

You must understand the grass you plant. I will assume that you are in
a temperate climate and can raise the normal rye, fescue and blue
grasses. The blue grasses are heavy feeders (need a lot of fertilizer)
and are pH sensitive. Fescues are good in shade and play areas.
Perennial ryes are tough grass that will quickly come fill in. Fescues
and ryes will do well in most soils and do not need a lot of fertilizer.

Grasses are cold weather plants and do best in the fall. The early
spring is good also so do wait. I just bought some perennial rye and
mixed fescues for my yard. The bags had good planting instructions. I
like to cover the planted area with straw to help it get established.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman