Old 14-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Heather

Default Vegetables for Autumn Show

"D Russell" wrote in message ...
"Eur Ing John Rye" wrote in message
Go for it ! Most village shows badly need new competitors, but make sure
you
check up on the rules. It is very frustrating to enter something that is
obviously the best, but be disqualified for not being according to class.

I do so want to enter my 12 foot banana plant in a pot in the, "anything in
a pot", section, just to see what would happen.
As for suggestions, i'd say grow unusual stuff, Aubergines, odd squashes;
butternut etc, that sort of thing rarely has anyone else growing it. Sneaky
way to win a few prizes.

Thanks all for your thoughts.

John - we had one classic last year - a photo class clearly said "with
titles". Mine which was clearly NOT the best was the only one with a
title and so would have won by default. However being the
public-spirited person (mug) that I am, I knew most of the other
entrants and so went round and told them all! My Dad got a prize in
that class (after hurridly writing a "title" using my cardboard and my
pen!) I didn't get anything. Mind you his photo WAS better than
mine.....

Duncan - you should defintely enter your potted banana! We don't have
such a class - the foliage plant ones all specifically limit the size
of the pot, I wonder if that's why!?

Both Duncan and Jayne suggest squashes, so I've bought some
"mini-squash" seeds and we'll see how they look. I think the key to
the "tray of five veggies" might also be to do something different
from the usual potatoes, carrots, onions, etc, so we'll see.

Progress reports to follow!

Heather