Old 14-04-2004, 05:33 PM
zxcvbob

Default growing seeds from dried peppers

zxcvbob wrote:
Has anyone successfully grown pepper plants from dried peppers from the
supermarket? I've grown seeds collected from ripe fresh peppers, but no
luck with the dried peppers -- even if they don't look heat treated.
Are the peppers irradiated or something? I bought a bag of peppers at
an Indian/Pakistani market and I'd like to try to grow them. They look
like little habaneros, but are not *nearly* as hot and they taste closer
to Mexican chile peppers. They are very seedy, and they look sun-dried
rather than oven-dried. But no seeds have germinated yet (2 weeks).

Thanks, regards,
Bob

After writing the previous message, I soaked another 100 or so dundicutt
(?) pepper seeds overnight and planted them. Now, a month later, I have
2 or 3 sickly little pepper seedlings coming up. The seeds for whatever
reason seem to be just barely viable; I don't know if they are just old
or if they've been heat treated -- but if I can nurse these to health I
will have a new interesting variety of peppers.

-Bob