Old 14-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Sudden oak death and you

Gee. The indication that _all_ Rhododendron species are affected
is a bit worrying. Going to the page that is linked, however,
gets to a listing for a single native California Rhododendron.

The host list is based on observances in the wild, not inoculation
studies. So although we have tested dozens of cultivars of Rhododendron,
those cultivars are not listed. I can tell you, however, that lots of
cultivars are susceptible.

I probably bought a Monrovia Satsuki LAST year. Do we assume
that the nursery was NOT infected then? Or do we assume the
infection merely had not been discovered?

We don't know.

I note that not all maples, or all blueberries, or all Pieris
(tho many) are listed as carriers.

For "wild" or noncultivar plants, susceptibility is on an individual
basis, because the genetic population may be very diverse (whereas most
cultivars are clones). Some tanoaks in affected areas are doing fine.
Also, some plants are only susceptible to a huge spore-load; for instance,
if they are growing under an infected California bay, they will get the
disease, otherwise they wouldn't. I suspect most species of maples will
turn out not to be hosts, but we have to wait for someone to test them.

Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++