Old 14-04-2004, 06:02 PM
William Morris

Default Proper way to mow

Proper? Any technique that makes the grass shorter in the smallest amount
of time I would call "proper."

I try to mow a different direction each time to avoid creating ruts with my
mower - granted that would take a long time, but I've been mowing this yard
for 25 years. I mow the perimeter clockwise, blowing the clippings "in",
two or three times to give myself "turn" room. Then just straight lines
back and forth. I also cut fairly high: the grass looks thicker, and helps
to choke out weeds.

On the subject of mulching mowers: hate 'em. Hate the *******s. If the
grass if at all high they clog, and always make a mess in the garage when
they're put up. Either collect or discharge the clippings, and forget the
guilt.

- Wm

--
William Morris
Semster, Seamlyne reProductions

"Don" wrote in message
m...
I have about two acres and a 48 inch cut Craftsman lawn mower. Every
time I mow I leave tons of grass clippings. I cut it very short I
think. I only have time to mow once a week.

What is the proper "technique" for mowing? I think part of my problem
is that I usually mow "clockwise" and probably should be mowing so I
blow the clippings where I have just mowed. The reason I dont do this
is it will blow clippings on my driveway/sidewalk/mulch. ANy help
would be appreciated! No one ever showed me the proper way to mow.

By the way I bought some blades that say mulching/discharge blades
from Sears for this mower. Should I make a plate to block the
clippings from being "shot" out? So the mulching blades will chop them
up finer? Any help is appreciated!