Old 14-04-2004, 06:37 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Poisonous plants

Kay Easton wrote in
:

And forget-me-not, and grape hyacinth? Honeysuckle, marigold, peony,
privet...

Honeysuckle berries and privet berries are both poisonous. Privet has
a violent purging effect and can be fatal to children.

Some marigold species can apparently cause minor skin irritation -
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/c...on/Tagetsp.htm

Peony roots can cause paralysis:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/cumberland/h...rdennote21.htm

I also found a reference to forgetmenots possibly causing liver damage,
though I couldn't find anything bad about grape hyacinths.

One thing to note with 'poisonous plant' lists is that many of them are
prepared with herbal medicine users in mind.

So, they aren't just warning you against risks to passing kids (unlikely
to dig up your paeonies and eat the roots, I think), but they also
provide info to try to discourage people who would otherwise boil the
stuff down and drink it, or rub it in all over.

I found the thing about liver damage and forgetmenots on an AIDS advice
site which gave me the impression that some of its users might try
almost anything in desperation.

(Mind you, there's no denying some urglers are adventurous eaters!)

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall