Old 14-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Gary Coffman

Default Proper way to mow

On 14 Apr 2004 08:19:50 -0700, (Don) wrote:
I have about two acres and a 48 inch cut Craftsman lawn mower. Every
time I mow I leave tons of grass clippings. I cut it very short I
think. I only have time to mow once a week.

Every grass variety has an optimum cutting height, so I can't just
reel off a number. But whatever grass variety you have, choose
a cutting height at the top of the range for that grass. This will
make the grass more drought resistant, reduce the need for
fertilizer, chokes out weeds, etc.

Cutting taller will also reduce the cutting frequency required since
a grass that isn't overcut won't have to grow as fast to get enough
green blade area in sunlight to survive. Don't over-fertilize and don't
over-water. Both will cause excessively rapid growth, and will promote
poor root systems.

What is the proper "technique" for mowing? I think part of my problem
is that I usually mow "clockwise" and probably should be mowing so I
blow the clippings where I have just mowed. The reason I dont do this
is it will blow clippings on my driveway/sidewalk/mulch. ANy help
would be appreciated! No one ever showed me the proper way to mow.

By the way I bought some blades that say mulching/discharge blades
from Sears for this mower. Should I make a plate to block the
clippings from being "shot" out? So the mulching blades will chop them
up finer? Any help is appreciated!

To convert a regular deck to a mulching deck, you have to block the
discharge chute. An old license plate will do if you don't have the
proper block off plate. Note that if the deck isn't designed to be
used as a mulcher, there may be some clogging problems, but it is
worth a shot. Every pound of grass clippings you remove from the
lawn requires you to replace those nutrients in another way.

Gary