Old 14-04-2004, 09:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Starting off courgettes

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message ...
"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

just planted up this year's batch of seeds - tomatoes, cucumbers,
courgettes.

I noted that the courgettes should be kept warm (20-25C) until they are
growing.

I think this is warmer than anywhere in the house apart from the airing
cupboard.

[...]
I was originally planning to grow them in our sun lounge, which easily
achieves the 25-25C during the day, however it drops back to 13-15C
overnight which is outside the spec. on the seed packet.

Thanks for the responses - the seed tray has now migrated from the kitchen
to the bathroom but it looks as though it would have been fine in the sun
lounge after all :-)

Nice to know that others don't RTFSP (read the friendly seed packet) or at
least ignore it.

It did seem a bit extreme to ask for such high temperatures - certainly
higher than anything found outside in the UK even in summer.

Off now to plant up some sunflowers - I've always meant to grow some but
never got round to it - and some Nicotiana which I think are the original
tall nicely scented ones instead of the stumpy odourless F1 hybrid things
you get in trays from the sheds.

A couple of layers of paper over the sowing containers will even out
the temperature a bit, though you probably need to allow air-flow
during the day. I sometimes put paper bags over pots of pelargonium
cuttings, too.

Mike.