Old 14-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Raccoons in my yard?

In article ,
Rodger Whitlock wrote:
On 14 Apr 2004 07:25:52 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

Are they widespread in the coastal strip stretching from Vancouver
to Anchorage, because that is the only patch that HAS anything like
long, dark, WET winters? The point is that many hibernation and
semi-hibernation techniques don't work in the UK, because of the
unreliable cold in the winter.

According to the distribution map in Roger Caras's "North
American Mammals", raccoons only get up the coast some ways north
of Vancouver, and then nada. Not in Alaska, evidently.

They shouldn't have much trouble in southern England, then, but
might find Scotland a bit harsh.

But here in Victoria, we have oodles, and our winters are long,
wet, dark, and definitely have unreliable cold -- as you so well
phrase it. Shall I ship you a container of raccoons?

Well, as you know, I really want a few cougar and some wolves :-)

They probably could naturalise here, but it isn't certain. Some
cold-winter animals have trouble.

If life in the countryside isn't congenial, they'll simply move
into the cities.

Seems reasonable to me. That lot need some stirring up.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.