Old 15-04-2004, 12:32 AM
David Hill

Default Birdsong?

"...........We have a lot of buzzards in our area. Perhaps that's
why there has been a decline in songbirds here in recent years...."

We have anything from 4 to 10 buzzards here and I have often seen them
perching on a couple of our poles.
They certainly have done nothing to reduce the birdsong, on Tuesday and
Wednesday I was woken just before 6am by the Birds, don't think I have known
then quite so noisy.
We regularly have chaffinches, green finches, hedge sparrows house sparrows,
blue tits ,long tailed tits, great tits, and coal tits, robins, blackbirds,
thrushes, Collared doves, wood pigeons, a pair of carrion crows, the odd
starling(Though 10 yrs ago we had them by the hundred), Green woodpecker,
magpies, Jays, and the Buzzards, rooks, a couple of Owls we hear at night or
early morning. (NO wrens for the last couple of years).All of these seen or
heard in the last week.
As well tree creepers and nut hatches, flycatchers, bull finches, gold
finches, field fairs,swallows, house martins and swifts, herons, sea gulls
and terns, a pair of peregrine falcons that nest locally, ....... at some
time in the year........ and probably a few that I cant think of now.
Often think we would do better as a nature reserve.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries