Old 03-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Steve Wolfinger

Default [IBC] layering a wild tree

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:13:50 -0800, Becca Ridout
wrote:

I would wait several years before layering it off. By
leaving it in the ground the new apex will thicken and
blend into the stump a lot faster. Unless you plan to put
the layered top back into the ground (which I doubt.) If
you move it into a pot, it will be a long time before the
fact that it was trunk choped stops being obvious.

Rebecca Ridout-- --MD,USA
_____________________________
For the best comics, toys, movies, and more,
please visit
http://www.tfaw.com/?qt=wmf

************************************************* **************************

*****
************************************************* **************************

*****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

that is a good point rebecca.... which brings me to another question. I
wish i had a place to plant out some of my other trees which are of course
in large nursery pots. I know trees thicken much quicker in the ground...
and this makes sense.. but what is the difference really... between using a
really large container to grow your tree out... and putting it in the
ground? the perfect soil drainage the earth provides? I have read that even
seedlings..just having sprouted will grow faster the more room they are
given (in say a large pot vs. an X-large pt) it almost seems as if
trees "know" where they are

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++