Old 15-04-2004, 06:03 AM
kdupar

Default cranberry questions

From: am
Subject: cranberry questions
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:25:28 GMT

Does anyone grow their own cranberries? I know they require boggy
conditions to thrive. Perhaps because of this, they seem quite rare. I
have not seen any for sale at local garden centres. I tried a
google.com search but the only people selling them seemed to be a
Guardian newspaper readers' offer!

Do you know anyone selling them mail order?

Are there many varieties to chose from?

Thanks,
Stephen.

We obtained our cranberries (and blueberries) several years ago by mail
order from:

Chris Bowers and Sons Whispering Trees Nursery
Wimbotsham
PE34 8QB
Tel: 01366 388752
Fax: 01366 386858

Although I spent my childhood summer holidays amongst the cranberry
bogs of western Washington state, our cranberries are planted at the
front of an ericaceous bed with rhododendrons and azaleas. They do
quite well here in the north of Scotland, although I have to remember
to pick them before they become overripe and drop from the low-growing
bushes. The blueberries, on the other hand, are a great favourite with
the birds. If I'm not quick enough, they beat me to the ripe berries
and I can't even find enough for my breakfast muesli.

Kristina
Black Isle