Old 15-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Janice

Default Seeds

On 15 Apr 2004 15:47:38 +1200, "Loki" wrote:

il Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:52:46 -0600, Janice ha scritto:

It's a hot weather spinach substitute, comes in green and red.
Another hot weather spinach substitute.. malabar spinach .. dunno what
the longevity of that seed is ;-)
links below.
Janice

[snip]

Hot weather? The notes say it bolts in hot weather. For a true hot
weather spinach try New Zealand Spinach. It doesn't have the oxalic
acid flavour of silverbeet and is mild, easy to eat raw.

ah ok, never grown it... warmer weather than spinach I guess. I had
some seed once, and before I could plant them, .. they croaked
That reminds me, I'm supposed to be filling out an order for more
lettuce seed so maybe I can get some planted and growing before it
turns hot .. like last year. Got up to 100F last May, and didn't look
back all summer! It's warm again this year, not that ware...yet.. but
it won't be long!

oh.. what's a silverbeet?

Janice

http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...les/nzspin.htm
http://www.yankeeharvest.com/Merchan...t_Code=HSV2077

For summer greens I use rocket a lot (when there are no cats around
to spray it!!).