Old 15-04-2004, 10:03 AM
Vicky

Default Compost heap - neighbour objects!

"sugarCandy" wrote in message
news
Hi
I'm feeling a bit peeved after the bank holiday weekend. A neighbour of
mine
requested I dispose of a heap of animal waste that that would attract blue
bottles, rats and mice. When told it was a compost heap, he said it was
inappropriate to have in in the garden.
The heap was actually the cleanings out of my guinea pigs, with garden

waste
added. I had started saving it in October, when the weather was cooler,
adding it to my rather small amount of garden waste. The guinea pigs are
kept on pelleted sawdust that crumbles when it gets wet. The bag

recommends
disposing of it via a compost heap. They have hay and straw as litter. The
aim was to produce a heap that would rot down to compost over the winter

so
there was no danger of smell or nuisance. In fact the pigs are cleaned out
before there is any smell anyway, and the heap was only visible through a

6
inch gap in the fence. ( about 3ft square, enclosed by paving slabs, but
showing some straw on the top)

I put the same on the compost heap from my guinea pig and rabbits. Never
had a problem with it. Not that that is any help to you!

Vicky