Old 15-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Jan Flora

Default rhubarb

In article ,
occupant wrote:

I am a pretty lame gardener. Bought 2 rhubarb plants at the end of the
season last year and couldn't figure out where to plant them so they had
the best conditions for growth (PacNorWest). They were doing well in
the nursery pots then they suddenly died - so I thought. Those
neglected pots sat empty until a couple of weeks ago when I walked by
and noticed both pots had two nice green leaves each. I am still trying
to figure out where to put them but I won't waste too much time. Sure
nice to see those leaves.

Plant them in full sun, if you can. Give each crown a 3 or 4 foot circle
to fill, and it will fill it.

Go find a couple of buckets full of horse or cow manure, quick. Dig a
couple of holes. Dump most of the manure in the holes, plant the rhubarb.
Top dress the crowns with the leftover manure. Water them in good.

If you can't find cow poop, use compost. Rhubarb is a heavy feeder.

Plant them in full sun, in a place where they can get 3' wide without
ticking anyone off. We use them for foundation plantings up here in
Alaska. They look cool and you can eat the stems (I have recipes.)

In the fall, get ahold of buckets of rotted horse or cow manure and just
dump them on top of your rhubarb plants, after the leaves have rotted
down from the killing frost. Rhubarb *loves* manure. Pile it on,
and you'll have happy plants.

Rhubarb is hardy in USDA Zone 1. I live in USDA Zone 4 and we can't
get rid of it with a napalm strike. It's hardy as hell.

Rhubarb and strawberries are a natural combo in pies.

Jan, Alaska