Old 15-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Poisonous plants

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...
(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message

http://www.powen.freeserve.co.uk/Ref...ison%20a-m.htm

| It runs to 7 pages. ;-)
|
| I got ahead of myself there - 7 pages is just A to M. A to Z is 12
| pages!
|
| A lot of these seem to be rated 1 ie non-toxic. How many pages is it

if
| you exclude these?

Dunno, but it is sufficiently incomplete that I wouldn't bother with
it. Try runner beans, flowering tobacco (nicotiana), bluebell,
common laurel and horse chestnut, to name but a few commonly-planted
decoratives.

I certainly wouldn't rely on it, there are some glaring omissions and the
random use of common names or botanic names makes it hard to find a plant
even when you know its poisonous and what its called!
one well know poison I couldn't see (but it may be there under a different
name) Strychnos toxifera or curare.
I think the advice at the beginning of the page is spot on, if you don't
know something is edible you should assume its poisonous!
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk