Old 15-04-2004, 10:38 AM
Sacha

Default seaweed as a compost

Vicky14/4/04 10:47

I live near the sea and was wondering about the benefits of seaweed as a
compost in the very poor soil of my garden. If I wash it well to reduce the
salt content, will it be OK to use straight on and in the soil?

Vicky

Farmers in Jersey used it for centuries on their fields - until nitrates
made their lives easier. ;-(
Some do use it still and there is no need to rinse it. After autumnal
storms, gather up whatever you need and dig it straight into your soil or
just lay it on top. Worms and weathering will do the rest throughout the
winter. It gives a wonderful flavour to potatoes, BTW!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)