Old 15-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Raccoons in my yard?

In article ,
(jane) writes:

| Maybe the rangers make the damage worse than it actually is, to
| deliberately scare people. Either way, I did see a photo of severe
| damage attributed to bears. Maybe the reviewer did too. Maybe it was a
| scare-tactics fake, but I could not say either way, just report on
| what I saw.

I can easily believe severe damage - it is the idea of a steel
shell being ripped open, or steel being torn to bits, that I
find hard to swallow. Mere bending of steel and demolition of
the glass and interior may look impressive but isn't the same.

I have torn a bumper off a car with my bear, oops, bare hands
myself - modern cars really are tinny - but that was pulling
a bolt through a slightly enlarged and weakened hole. Tearing
even the thin steel sheet used for cars into shreds would be
seriously pushing it for a bear's claws.

So what I think the rangers did was present the worst real
image, and slightly enhance the description. I.e. they would
have been considerably more truthful than our Trusted Leaders.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.