Old 15-04-2004, 04:32 PM
Ecnerwal

Default Letting it go: Was: Proper way to mow

In article ,
"Dukester" wrote:
Without buying goats or cows, what other way is there to maintain such an
area except for cutting it like 1 big ole yard? I'm all for reducing my
mowing time.

Sheep or geese (geese are also handy for notification of
visitors/robbers, per another thread). But I'm guessing you don't want
livestock at all - though livestock are the best way to keep a meadow as
a meadow.

Bush-hogging a few times a year will keep it somewhat under control -
I'm guessing from what you said that you had left it for several years
before your recent outing with the bush-hog, which does make the job
more difficult. If you're essentially turning it into open forest with
your tree plantings, the need to bush-hog might reduce somewhat as your
trees grow. Killing off everything that grows there now and replanting
densely with things which do well in your area (thus keeping down weed
invasions) and stay low would be another option, but that's also work.

Up here a dense planting of clover works pretty well, though you still
want to mow a few times to keep the taller weeds from making it.
Controlled burns work well in some areas, but I can't say if they would
work for your particular spot - probably not since you are trying to
grow trees in it.