Old 15-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Heather

Default Potato in a pot - competition

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from Jonny contains these words:
If the
answer is to get two plants and therefore a heavier crop, are you not
cheating:-)) quote from above "heaviest crop of potatos
grown from a single tuber" emphasis being on the word single.

I'd take the rule to mean "starting with one tuber", and divide it.
After all, when doing that fundraiser where kids have to invest £1 to
make as much money as possible, it would be perfectly okay to invest 60
p and 40p in two separate ideas.

With two potato plants in one pot competing for the same compost, I'd
consider liquid feeding with comfrey or nettle tea.

Thanks Janet - glad you don't think it's cheating. It would be galling to
get to September and get disqualified!
Good tip on the feeding - something to do with all those nettles growing in
from under next door's hedge : )

Heather