Old 16-04-2004, 12:32 AM
profpam

Default Worst Disasters and Best Miracles - whoops

profpam wrote:

About the same time as you describe, we were in Singapore. We left our
greenhouse to a dripper system and a timer to water the plants. It seems the
diaphragm on the timer failed and water was pumped into the yard. The flood
caused a power outage, and temperatures got down into the 32 degree range inside
the greenhouse. I lost quite a few plants; however, Mick's Neofinetia falcatas that were
deflasked seedlings did fairly well. I lost only a few of them.

. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Kenni Judd wrote:

It's been quite a few years now, but I don't think I'll ever forget the
night when, back when we were still in the backyard, I went to bed on a
weather report that predicted a low of 49F -- nothing to worry about, for my
personal collection, even if the forecasters were off by 5 degrees [the
margin of error we expect]. Woke up the next morning, well after sunrise,
to find a temp of 37F on the porch [unheated, but sheltered on all sides
except south]. I'm sure it was colder during the night, and esp. out in the
actual yard and open shadehouse. I lost only a few of the most tender
plants; others were set back, and many were thrown off their blooming
schedules for a couple-three years, but almost all eventually recovered.

More recently, about 4-5 years ago, our water treatment system here at the
nursery malfunctioned -- I have never gotten a satisfactory explanation, so
I don't know exactly WHAT it sprayed on the plants. But whatever it was, I
don't think there was a plant in the place that escaped having some or all
of its root tips burned off. The losses were bigger on that one
[proportionally, not just because we had more plants]. But more survived
than I had expected, so I didn't have to file that Chapter 7 bankruptcy
petition I was working on ... [And we now have an RO system that we're very
happy with.]
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Anyone care to share stories about worst orchid-related disasters and/or
best orchid-related miracles? Or any other entertaining orchid stories for
that matter?

Joanna (who is fighting a head-cold and procrastinating on taxes in damp

and
cold Washington DC area)