Old 16-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Kay Lancaster

Default Letting it go: (and fires)

It looked kind of strange having a lawn that ended abruptly turning into a
5' high weedy area. Mostly it was turning to blackberry and thorny vines,
and then eventually honeysuckle that strangled everything. I can show you
honeysuckle vines I saved that were 2" in diameter that literally cut oak
saplings in half. There was also a tremendous fire danger in the fall and
winter when all the sedge (sage?) grass turned dry. Not knowing what else

Check out http://www.firewise.org/ -- good stuff on the website, even
better stuff in the publications catalog, esp. the landscaping books
and videos.

As far as "looking strange", consider a planned landscape with more
formal lawn/garden areas near the house, transitioning to informal,
(perhaps knee high grassy/wildflower areas with a few shrubs that can
be burned or brushhogged once in awhile) transitioning to natural
but maintained. A few paths carved into the natural areas help with
maintenance and also with the visual transition. And plan in some
firebreaks.

Kay Lancaster