Old 16-04-2004, 02:33 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Growing Mint

writes:

Your gonna think i'm crazy but I just bought some mint like a week
ago! And Since I want to use this mint for tea I dont have nearly
enough yet . I imagine that mint grows exponentially from what I
have read about mint being so invasive and growing quickly.

Surely, folks here won't think you're crazy! Many of us drink tea from
our own mint.

I am also experimenting with the stevia plant (I may not even like it)
but I would like to experiment mixing it in with mint leaves who know
i may never have ti use sugar for tea again . Would you propigate it
in much the same way as mint from a cutting or do you have to use root
hormone. Is root hormone necessary for certain plants or does it just
increase the chances of success.

I've not propagated Stevia, just bought the plants and used the leaves in
various ways. BTW, a little Stevia goes a long way! :-)

If you want mint tea and don't want sugar (or Stevia), try chocolate
peppermint. It's great! I had been growing it for the leaves just for
munching. It's extremely refreshing to eat a couple (or more) of chocolate
peppermint leaves with a glass of ice water . . . not much could be better
on a hot day! (And *no* calories or sugar!)

The leaves taste surprisingly like a Peppermint Patty.

Though I (and my granddaughters) would eat two or three leaves as a snack,
I had not made tea with it. That is, not until someone here said he/she
didn't care for coffee or the tea and work and picked a sprig each morning
on the way to the car to make tea at work. Amazed that I hadn't thought
of it, I tried it . . . it's absolutely fabulous tea! Following the
suggestion of the poster (I think), I use the entire sprig and use it to
stir. A single sprig is worth at least two cups of tea if the water is
steeping hot. I normally add sugar to tea but not to the chocolate
peppermint tea; it doesn't need it.

My chocolate peppermint is in a huge planter pot and is very prolific,
from the first year! It also survived our colder-than-usual winter with
no extra protection though it is in a pot.

Enjoy your tea!

Glenna
BTW, whoever posted that, thank you very much. :-)