Old 16-04-2004, 03:32 AM
SugarChile

Default Calla Lily

I believe that hardiness depends on the variety. I have a few dozen callas
that a neighbor gave me over 10 years ago. She said she had grown them in
successfully in Maine. I'm in PA, where winters are variable but always
include extended periods of below freezing temperatures. The callas are
always very late in emerging--after a tough winter, they may not come up
until June--but they have bloomed reliably, and beautifully, for me each
year. Unfortunately I don't know the variety name; they are pure white, and
have foliage that's speckled with silver.

Callas I see listed in catalogues are never rated for my zone, and I think
the newer hybrids with the colored flowers are especially cold sensitive.
Probably not worth the risk of leaving it outdoors in Idaho if is has
special meaning for you.

Cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

I was given a calla lily for a gift. I have hear that the can be planted
out doors. I haven't been able to find and info on the how to do this.
Does anyone have ay experience with this they would like to share?
I live in Southwestern Idaho, incase climate matters for the lily

plant.
We have a long growing season, but it does freeze in the late fall.

For what it's worth, I have several outside in the ground--they come
up like clockwork, as they have for the past 30 years, at least, but
then, I live a little south of San Francisco as opposed to Idaho.

As far as I know, the rhizomes won't take freezing, but the plant
itself is relatively hardy. Dig the bulbs up before winter if it snows
around there and replant them after it thaws, what the hey.

Call a nursery, see what they say.

and don't eat it.