Old 16-04-2004, 05:05 AM
William Laven

Default Cat-safe algae control??

Yeah, I get in the pond every now and then and twirl around a rake like
it's a giant fork and the algae is looong spaghetti. It works, but I
wish I could do something that cut their growth. This is actually a
goldfish pond because its very shallow and the racoons visit
occasionally. My koi are in a second deeper pond which doesn't have an
algae problem, probably becaise it has a better filter. Unfortunatley,
the goldfish pond is situated such in the garden that I can't place a
large filter there.

But, thanks to all for your suggestions. Maybe I'll just twirl the rake
more often!

Too bad the cats don't eat algae.

In article , Gabrielle
wrote:

I also have a small pond (about 450 gallons) that's home to my turtles
and fish as well as serving as an occasional water bowl for my two cats
and myriad wild birds. I put in a small veggie filter that right now has
a lot of string algae, but I don't really mind. My salvinia is taking
root in it and is growing like crazy -- I assume because the fish in the
veggie filter can't get to the roots -- and my water has been pretty
clear. The turtles and fish don't allow too much to grow in the main
pond but, what string algae is there, I just whirl around a scrub brush
-- gives me an excuse to go wading when it's hot. You might try that
instead of resorting to chemicals.

Gabrielle

William Laven wrote:

I have a small pond that loves algae. But I don't! Though I have a UV
filter, there's still plenty of string algae. What I'm wondering is
whether any of the algae control products -- many list copper as the
active ingredient -- can be used when my pond also serves as a drinking
bowl for my 6 cats.

And, please, don't waste my time telling me to get rid of the cats or
cover the pond with a net to keep them from drinking, etc etc

The cats stay and perhaps so will the alage unless I can find a product
safe for their ingestion.

Thanks for the help.

ps offlist cc's to would be appreciated