Old 17-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Salty Thumb

Default Lawn and mowing questions...

(Scott B.) wrote in
om:

I am closing on my first house in just under a month and had a few
questions. The lawn will be seeded soon if it isn't already. What
steps should I take to ensure I end up with a good full lawn? I have
never cared for a new, seeded, lawn before so any advice is
appreciated. I will also need to purchase a mower. Our lot size is
slightly less than 1/2 acre. I was leaning toward a reel mower but my
wife is not convinced that a gas mower isn't a good choice. Let me
know what the pros-cons of reel vs gas are. I have looked at the
Brill Luxus 38 but am a little concerned about the 1.8" cutting
height. I learned from my dad and he always kept the grass
significantly higher (gas mower). Any links or advice that will help
me get a great lawn would be appreciated.
Thanks,
SAB

gas mowers
* noisier and pollutingingmoring.
* may have safety procautions about keeping kids and body parts away from
general area and esp. discharge chute while cutting.
* engine propelled models require less individual effort to operate
* requires gasoline to run

push reel mowers
* less noisy (beandip powered mowers may be morepollutingingmoring)
* require either more mechanical proficency or $$ to sharpen blades
(except Brill models claim to stay sharp)
* manual models may not be suitable for St. Augustine or tougher grasses
* can operate on donuts or beer belly fat

Did you look at the Brill Accu line? Still only 1.8" cutting height, but
it's battery powered. I assume that makes it easier to push.