Old 17-04-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Opinions sought on using clear plastic cover for tomato cages

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 16:51:08 GMT, "Newbee"
wrote:

Hi, I am new to gardening. I just ordered some tomato plants. I plan to
grow the plants in pots. I plan to use concrete reinforced wire mesh for
the cages. But I have squirrels mice and birds who will be interested in
these plants. The squirrels ate my spring bulbs! So I was thinking about
covering the mesh cages with clear plastic painter's drop cloths. I don't
want to buy the tomato teepee. What do you think about my plans? Thanks in
advance for your feedback.

I think that will cook your plants in hot weather.

I've never had squirrels or mice or birds bother my tomatoes
in any way.

Maybe I've just been lucky: but I've grown tomatoes for the
better part of 30 years, in four locations, and no critters
have ever bothered them.

BTW, tomatoes are LARGE plants - many varieties are anyway.
I hope the pots are very large, very large indeed.

The last time I tried growing a full-size tomato plant in a
pot, we eventually had to transplant it into a 22-gallon
Rubbermaid storage container and even that wasn't really
large enough.

Pat