Old 17-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Steve

Default grape growing

Hi Bob,
I saw the 3 foot deep frost and mention of northeast and wondered if
you lived up here with me. Now I see your e-mail address and assume
you are south of me. I live in the Adirondacks (Tupper Lake).

I suspect that heat will not be a problem. Pipe of that diameter
will probably prevent the vines from climbing by themselves. You
will have to tie the vines up. Don't tie them too tight when they
are young (just in case I'm wrong about heat not being a problem).
When they get bigger, there will be a lot of shade from all the
grape leaves by mid summer. If by chance, heat does turn out to be a
problem, all is not lost. Keep the galvanized frame but string
plastic coated wire between the uprights and tie the vines to that.

I'm wondering if you have decided which varieties you will grow. Did
you buy them yet? You are at least a zone warmer than here if you
are anywhere near Albany. Even so, some of the good seedless
varieties may be a little tender.

Right now I have Interlaken (it must be over 20 years old by now),
Venus, Reliance and Vanessa. I once had seedless concord but it was
a weak grower and died out. I had, until recently, Canadice. I
didn't like it and I got rid of it.
I can grow all of those here because I prune them each fall and take
them down off the trellis. When laid down flat to the ground, they
can survive. Otherwise, they would die down to the snow line each year.

I think Reliance is the best. It's a nice seedless red with good
flavor. Vanessa is very similar with slightly smaller grapes and a
very vigorous vine.

Steve

Bob wrote:

Am looking to grow grapes and was considering constructing a trellis out of
1 1/4" galvanized pipe. I was planning on driving the vertical runs about 3
feet below grade(frost line here) and running 1 1/4" horizontal piping runs
about 7 feet high off them. A few concerns came to mind.....the horizontal
runs will be about 10 feet long....is that long enough? The vines will be
trained along the piping. Due to the size of the piping will it tend to get
too hot for the vines as the direct sun shines on them, thus burning the
vines and leaves? I'm in the northeast. Thanks in advance.