Old 17-04-2004, 08:10 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Default Cat-safe algae control??

IMO, since the cats are more important (and I think this is a good thing,
as you're more apt to consider my advice) keep twirling.

String Algae usually has it hey day the 2nd year of a pond (sooner with one
that has UV) and then it eventually goes away only appearing briefly in the
spring, if at all. Check your water quality, you many need to get rid of a
few fertilizer.. er... fish. ;o)
~ jan (Do you know where your water quality is?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 03:48:16 GMT, William Laven wrote:

Yeah, I get in the pond every now and then and twirl around a rake like
it's a giant fork and the algae is looong spaghetti. It works, but I
wish I could do something that cut their growth. This is actually a
goldfish pond because its very shallow and the racoons visit
occasionally. My koi are in a second deeper pond which doesn't have an
algae problem, probably becaise it has a better filter. Unfortunatley,
the goldfish pond is situated such in the garden that I can't place a
large filter there.

But, thanks to all for your suggestions. Maybe I'll just twirl the rake
more often!

Too bad the cats don't eat algae.

In article , Gabrielle
wrote:

I also have a small pond (about 450 gallons) that's home to my turtles
and fish as well as serving as an occasional water bowl for my two cats
and myriad wild birds. I put in a small veggie filter that right now has
a lot of string algae, but I don't really mind. My salvinia is taking
root in it and is growing like crazy -- I assume because the fish in the
veggie filter can't get to the roots -- and my water has been pretty
clear. The turtles and fish don't allow too much to grow in the main
pond but, what string algae is there, I just whirl around a scrub brush
-- gives me an excuse to go wading when it's hot. You might try that
instead of resorting to chemicals.

Gabrielle

William Laven wrote:

I have a small pond that loves algae. But I don't! Though I have a UV
filter, there's still plenty of string algae. What I'm wondering is
whether any of the algae control products -- many list copper as the
active ingredient -- can be used when my pond also serves as a drinking
bowl for my 6 cats.

And, please, don't waste my time telling me to get rid of the cats or
cover the pond with a net to keep them from drinking, etc etc

The cats stay and perhaps so will the alage unless I can find a product
safe for their ingestion.

Thanks for the help.

ps offlist cc's to would be appreciated