Old 17-04-2004, 09:37 PM
tuin man

Default several customers ---------free to good home (add)

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in message
The message
from "tuin man" contains these

words:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in

message
The message
from "tuin man" contains these

words:

Oddly enough... absolutely no interest from anyone anywhere so far.

Quite predictable IMO.

Hmm,
But why?

Because you don't call the shots on what happens to your clients after
you leave. Once you depart, any competent, equally-skilled-as-yourself
competitors can step in and hoover up your client list for the price of
an ad in the local paper/ GC's, no need to negotiate your conditions.
The bad ones will sink, the best one will soon have your clients banging
on his door begging him to accept their money. Sorry :-)

Janet

Just a (longish)note about that last bit, albeit a purely accademic point.
The lady who gave me her client list many years ago was what you might call
sinking. Yet, she was by no means what you might call one of the "bad ones".

She was both qualified and quite competent, but the apparent bad management
of her biggest and main contract seemed to contradict this.

I do know, because she told me, that no matter what she wanted to do, the
clients objected. She expected me to have the same problem with them and she
chalked it down to their conservatism. But I didn't. I seemed to enjoy a
different position in their confidence right from the start and
circumstantial evidence suggests that the reason I did not run into the same
difficulty is because I'm not a woman. A sort of What would she know, she's
just a girl?

Failure in such situations should not be equated with merit IMO.

I've even had one peculiar experience of advising a would be client that
their proposals to fix a problem were unlikely to work and expalined why
they wouldn't work. I then sketched out an alternative that would work,
(mostly because the plants would actually survive) and in spite of the fact
that I was suggesting an alternative that I could not take on myself.
Whereas his idea, I could. Not only would it work, it had several more
advantages. His response was something on the lines of What would you know,
you're just a gardener!

As for the good ones getting my clients banging on his door begging him to
accept their money. I've seen quite a lot of bad ones with such good
fortune. And their luck should also not be equated with merit (-:

Patrick