Old 17-04-2004, 10:16 PM
Charlie Pridham

Default Poisonous plants

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| name) Strychnos toxifera or curare.

You could tell from the length that it was intended to cover only
common garden plants - I didn't know that was one.

I will experiment with some families but, as you know, I have enough
botanical and toxological knowledge to make an educated guess. I
will not experiment with the solanaceae or fabaceae/leguminoseae,
despite the number of food plants in those families! Nor will I
trust Web pages that say they are edible without further evidence
(black nightshade being the obvious example).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I know Strychnos toxifera is not a common garden plant! but its relative
Gelsemium isn't exactly common in this country either and that's on the list
at least twice!
I was just having a bit of a general grump about having to put toxicity
warnings on all plants when there are so many ways a plant can harm you,
that you are in danger of having a booklet sized label for them. (which I am
pretty sure most people won't read) Where I do think they have a point is
when something unexpected happens like hogweed sap irritation when normal
gardening practice may need to be changed, I also think pointing out to
people that plants like euphorbia which may cause them skin problems but
would prove lethal to fish if the sap were to get into the water.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk