Old 18-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Compost heap - neighbour objects!

The message
from Jane Ransom contains these words:

In article , Janet Baraclough.
. writes
It won't be mandatory for householders to have compost
heaps; millions of flat-dwellers could not, for example.

On the continent there are 'local' community composting sites for such
people. Apparently the scheme works really well.

There are several in rural Scotland too; but in the one I know
(outskirts of rural village) the users need transport to move their
green-refuse to the site.

We tried to set one up here, but were refused planning permission -
through some totally inexplicable political shenanigans

It's becoming a pressing issue here on Arran. The current landfill
site will be full within a year or two, the (mainland) county council
also has to find a way to recycle more green refuse, AND, emissions from
the ancient sewage systems have to be brought up to European
water-quality standards asap. So, what we really need, and desperately
want, is an island greencomposting site, and an ecological sewage
disposal system (installed and working perfectly on private adjacent
island). What do we get from the mainland planners and water authority?
A hopelessly inappropriate "modern" sewage design identical to the one
which has already been installed on two other west-coasts sites and
cause major havoc by flooding villages with raw pooh; followed by an
amended, even more crazed plan to take all the island's sewage and all
rubbish (unsorted)to the mainland, at huge expense, with shit/rubbish
trucks sharing the ferry with tourists (who are the island's major
income).

You couldn't make it up :-(

Janet.